[ad_1]

Kyiv region hit by kamikaze drones – reports

Russian forces have reportedly struck the Kyiv region with kamikaze drones, according to local officials and media reports.

Kyiv regional governor, Oleksiy Kuleba, issued an update via his official Telegram channel just after 6am local time, saying:

We have attacks on one of the communities of the region. Previously – an attack of kamikaze drones. Rescuers are already working.”

Kuleba urged residents to stay in shelters.

Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of president Zelenskiy’s office, also reported that critical infrastructure facilities were hit by drone strikes in the region.

Another attack by kamikaze drones on critical infrastructure facilities.”

⚡️ Russian forces strike Kyiv Oblast with kamikaze drones.

Kyiv Oblast Governor Oleksiy Kuleba reported early on Oct. 13 that Russian forces targeted one of the communities in Kyiv Oblast with kamikaze drones.

— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) October 13, 2022

Key events

Russian forces attempting new front line after Kherson retreat: UK MoD

After retreating around 20km in the north of the Kherson sector in early October, Russian forces are likely attempting to consolidate a new front line west from the village of Mylove, according to British intelligence.

Heavy fighting continues along this line, especially at the western end where Ukrainian advances mean Russia’s flank is no longer protected by the Inhulets River, the latest UK Ministry of Defence report reads.

“In recent days, the Russian occupation authorities have likely ordered preparation for the evacuation of some civilians from Kherson,” the report adds. “It is likely that they anticipate combat extending to the city of Kherson itself.”

Recently released satellite images show a close view of traffic and bridge repair work on the collapsed part of the Kerch bridge in Crimea.

The images made available by Maxar Technologies are dated 12 October.

An explosion on Saturday partially destroyed the strategic key bridge, built specifically on Putin’s orders and linking Crimea to Russia. Ukraine has not directly claimed responsibility for the attack.

Bridge repair work seen on the collapsed part of the Kerch Strait bridge in Crimea.
Bridge repair work seen on the collapsed part of the Kerch Strait bridge in Crimea. Photograph: Maxar Technologies Handout/EPA
View of cargo trucks waiting in Kerch, Crimea, on 12 October.
View of cargo trucks waiting in Kerch, Crimea, on 12 October. Photograph: Maxar Technologies/Reuters

Kyiv’s allies commit to more military aid

Dozens of Ukraine’s allies have pledged to send more military aid to Ukraine after more than 50 western countries met In Brussels on Wednesday.

Ukraine’s defence minister, Oleksiy Reznikov, lauded the arrival of the first of four Iris-T defence systems from Germany and an “expedited” delivery of the sophisticated national advanced surface-to-air missile systems (Nasams) from the US.

“A new era of air defence has begun in Ukraine,” Reznikov tweeted. “Iris-Ts from Germany are already here. Nasams are coming. This is only the beginning. And we need more.”

The UK has said it will donate cutting edge air defence weaponry, capable of shooting down cruise missiles

It did not say how many of the Amraam rockets would be sent to Ukraine, but said they would be used with Nasams.

Ben Wallace, the UK defence secretary, said: “Russia’s latest indiscriminate strikes on civilian areas in Ukraine warrant further support to those seeking to defend their nation. So today I have authorised the supply of Amraam anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine. These weapons will help Ukraine defend its skies from attacks and strengthen their overall missile defence alongside the US Nasams.”

France has also promised radar and air defence systems in the coming weeks while Canada said it would provide artillery rounds and winter clothing.

The Dutch defence minister, Kajsa Ollongren, wrote in a letter to parliament that her government would be donating €15m (£13m) worth of air defences to Ukraine.

World leaders respond to UN vote

US president Joe Biden said the vote sent a “clear message” to Moscow. “The stakes of this conflict are clear to all, and the world has sent a clear message in response – Russia cannot erase a sovereign state from the map,” he said.

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said he was “grateful to 143 states that supported the historic UNGA [United Nations general assembly] resolution”, tweeting: “The world had its say – [Russia’s] attempt at annexation is worthless and will never be recognised by free nations.”

US secretary of state Antony Blinken said the vote showed international unity against Russia and repeated that Washington would never recognise the “sham” referendums.

The vote “is a powerful reminder that the overwhelming majority of nations stand with Ukraine, in defence of the UN Charter and in resolute opposition to Russia’s ongoing war against Ukraine and its people,” he said in a statement.

Before the vote, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US ambassador to the UN, said: “Today it is Russia invading Ukraine. But tomorrow it could be another nation whose territory is violated. It could be you. You could be next. What would you expect from this chamber?”

UN general assembly condemns Russia annexations in Ukraine

The United Nations general assembly has overwhelmingly condemned Russia’s “attempted illegal annexation” of four Ukrainian regions, demanding that Moscow reverse course.

Three-quarters of the 193-member general assembly – or 143 countries – voted on Wednesday in favour of a resolution that called Moscow’s move illegal, deepening Russia’s international isolation.

Only four countries joined Russia in voting against the resolution – Syria, Nicaragua, North Korea and Belarus. Thirty-five countries abstained, including Russia’s strategic partner China, together with India, South Africa and Pakistan. The rest did not vote.

The resolution adopted on Wednesday declares that Moscow’s actions violate Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, are “inconsistent” with the principles of the UN charter, and “have no validity under international law and do not form the basis for any alteration of the status of these regions of Ukraine.”

It demands that Russia “immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw all of its military forces from the territory of Ukraine within its internationally recognised borders.”

It also supports “the de-escalation of the current situation and a peaceful resolution of the conflict through political dialogue, negotiation, mediation and other peaceful means” that respect Ukraine’s sovereignty, territorial integrity and internationally recognised borders.

Putin to meet Erdoğan to possibly discuss peace options

Russian president Vladimir Putin is set to meet his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on the sidelines of a regional summit in Kazakhstan later today.

Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov said the Turkish president may propose ideas for peace, hinting that “a very interesting and, I hope, useful discussion awaits us” while speaking to reporters on Wednesday.

Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan during talks in September.
Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks to Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan during talks in September. Photograph: Alexandr Demyanchuk/AP

Now many say that the Turks are ready to come up with other initiatives in the context of the settlement of the Ukrainian conflict.

There are reports in the press that the Turkish side is putting forward specific considerations in this regard, I do not exclude that Erdogan will actively touch on this topic during the Astana contact. So a very interesting and, I hope, useful discussion awaits us.”

Mykolaiv hit by overnight missile attack, mayor says

As we await more details on the reported drone strike on Kyiv region this morning, the southern city of Mykolaiv has also reported being hit by a barrage of missiles overnight.

“A five-storey residential building was hit, the two upper floors were completely destroyed, the rest – under rubble. Rescuers are working on the site,” mayor Oleksandr Senkevich said in a Telegram post just before 4am local time, adding the southern city was “massively shelled”.

After the first night, Mykolaiv was massively shelled. A five-story residential building was hit. The two upper floors were completely destroyed, the rest – under rubble. Rescuers are working on the spot.”

Kyiv region hit by kamikaze drones – reports

Russian forces have reportedly struck the Kyiv region with kamikaze drones, according to local officials and media reports.

Kyiv regional governor, Oleksiy Kuleba, issued an update via his official Telegram channel just after 6am local time, saying:

We have attacks on one of the communities of the region. Previously – an attack of kamikaze drones. Rescuers are already working.”

Kuleba urged residents to stay in shelters.

Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of president Zelenskiy’s office, also reported that critical infrastructure facilities were hit by drone strikes in the region.

Another attack by kamikaze drones on critical infrastructure facilities.”

⚡️ Russian forces strike Kyiv Oblast with kamikaze drones.

Kyiv Oblast Governor Oleksiy Kuleba reported early on Oct. 13 that Russian forces targeted one of the communities in Kyiv Oblast with kamikaze drones.

— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) October 13, 2022

Summary and welcome

Hello and welcome back to the Guardian’s live coverage of the war in Ukraine. I’m Samantha Lock and I will be bringing you all the latest developments for the next few hours.

Russian president Vladimir Putin is set to meet his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on the sidelines of a regional summit in Kazakhstan later today.

Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov said the Turkish president may propose ideas for peace, hinting that “a very interesting and, I hope, useful discussion awaits us” while speaking to reporters on Wednesday.

We are also receiving reports that the Kyiv region has been hit by drone strikes early this morning with Zelenskiy’s office reporting critical infrastructure facilities being struck.

Here’s a rundown of all the latest major developments over the past 24 hours.

  • The United Nations general assembly on Wednesday overwhelmingly voted to condemn Russia’s annexation of parts of Ukraine as 35 nations abstained including China, India, South Africa and Pakistan. The resolution “condemns the organisation by the Russian Federation of so-called referendums within the internationally recognised borders of Ukraine“ and “the attempted illegal annexation” announced last month of four regions by Russia president Vladimir Putin.

  • A Russian nuclear strike would “almost certainly​” trigger a “physical response” from Ukraine’s allies and potentially from Nato, a senior Nato official has said. Any use of nuclear weapons by Moscow would have “unprecedented consequences” for Russia, the official was quoted by Reuters as saying.

  • The US will need to deter two major nuclear weapons powers for the first time, the Biden administration has warned. Washington’s new national security strategy (NSS) depicts China as the most capable long-term competitor, but Russia as the more immediate, disruptive threat, pointing to its nuclear posturing over Ukraine. “Russia’s conventional military will have been weakened, which will likely increase Moscow’s reliance on nuclear weapons in its military planning,” the strategy blueprint reads.

  • Putin will meet Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in what is likely to be a “very interesting” meeting in Kazakhstan on Thursday, where the Turkish leader may propose ideas for peace in Ukraine, the Kremlin has said.

  • Ukraine’s army boasted of territorial gains near the strategically vital southern city of Kherson on Wednesday. Five settlements in the Beryslav district in the north-east of the Kherson region – Novovasylivka, Novogrygorivka, Nova Kamyanka, Tryfonivka, Chervone – were said to have been taken from Russian forces over the day.

  • Nato allies delivered new air defence systems in the wake of Russia’s recent missile attacks across the country. Ukraine’s defence minister, Oleksiy Reznikov, lauded the arrival of the first of four Iris-T defence systems from Germany and an “expedited” delivery of sophisticated National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (Nasams) from the US. France has promised radar and air defence systems in the coming weeks while Canada said it would provide artillery rounds and winter clothing and Britain pledged to donate Amraam anti-aircraft missiles capable of shooting down cruise missiles.

  • External power has been restored to Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, according to the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Rafael Grossi had warned earlier that the loss of off-site power at the facility, Europe’s largest, was “deeply worrying”.

  • Ukrainians are being reduce their electricity consumption during peak hours to avoid blackouts. Prime minister Denys Shmyhal appealed to citizens and businesses to reduce power consumption from 5pm to 10pm by 25%. “This is a necessity and this is our contribution to the victory. After all, it depends on each of us how we will get through this winter,” he said.

  • The European Commission will next week present plans to mitigate soaring energy costs. Energy commissioner Kadri Simson told reporters on Wednesday that the commission would bring forward a proposal that includes joint gas purchases by 2023. By harnessing the bloc’s collective purchasing power, she said, the EU could “avoid member states outbidding each other on the market” and thus “driving up” prices.

  • Putin says Russia is ready to resume gas supplies via one link of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline that remains operational. The ball was in the EU’s court on whether it wanted gas supplied via the pipeline, Putin said in an address to the Russian Energy Week international forum.

  • The head of the Russian state-owned gas monopoly supplier, Gazprom, has warned Europe of the consequences of renouncing Russian gas. There is “no guarantee” that Europe would survive winter based on its current gas storage capacity, Alexei Miller said, adding that gas in Germany’s underground storage would be enough for between two- and two-and-a-half months.

A Ukrainian soldier sits in their bunker at a front line near Toretsk in the Donetsk region on 12 October.
A Ukrainian soldier sits in their bunker at a front line near Toretsk in the Donetsk region on 12 October. Photograph: Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP/Getty Images



[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *