Cabo San Lucas, Mexico — Police in a seaside community on Mexico’s Baja California peninsula said Wednesday that two Americans were found dead in their hotel room.

Police said the deaths occurred in the community of El Pescadero on Tuesday. The town is located between Todos Santos and the resort of Los Cabos, in Baja California Sur state.

U.S. officials said they were aware of the case but couldn’t comment on it because of privacy concerns. There was no immediate information on the names or hometowns of the victims.

According to a police, paramedics received a report Tuesday that the Americans were unconscious in their room. They were dead by the time paramedics arrived. The suspected cause of death was inhalation of gas.

baja-california-sur-state-in-mexico-map.jpg
Map shows Mexico’s Baja California Sur state

Google Maps


There have been several cases of such deaths in Mexico due to poisoning by carbon monoxide or other gases. Such gases are often produced by improperly vented or leaky water heaters and stoves.

In October, three U.S. citizens were found dead at a rented apartment in Mexico, apparently victims of gas inhalation.

See also  FIFA Plans to Announce 2026 World Cup Sites on June 16

The Mexico City police department said the three were found unresponsive Oct. 30 in an upscale neighborhood. They’d apparently rented the dwelling for a short visit. Post-mortem examinations suggested the two men and one woman died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In Mexico, proper gas line installations, vents and monitoring devices are often lacking.

In 2018, a gas leak in a water heater caused the deaths of an American couple and their two children in the resort town of Tulum, south of Playa del Carmen.

An inspection revealed that the water heater at the rented condominium was leaking gas. Prosecutors said the gas leak might have been caused by a lack of maintenance or the age of the equipment.

In 2010, the explosion of an improperly installed gas line at a hotel in Playa del Carmen killed five Canadian tourists and two Mexicans.

In that case, prosecutors said the gas line, apparently meant to fuel a pool heating unit, wasn’t properly installed or maintained. They said gas leaking from the line may have been ignited in an explosion by a spark from an electric switch or plug.

In a separate case in the Caribbean coast resort of Playa del Carmen, prosecutors announced Wednesday that a judge ordered three men to stand trial on homicide charges in the May 30 killing of an Italian woman at a restaurant.

See also  OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush offered discount sub tickets to a millionaire Jay Bloom and his son

The woman was a longtime resident of Playa del Carmen, not a tourist. Prosecutors didn’t provide information on a possible motive in that case. 


Source link

(This article is generated through the syndicated feed sources, Financetin neither support nor own any part of this article)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *