Willie McGinest turns himself in to police for role in alleged assault

Former NFL linebacker Willie McGinest released a statement Friday, apologizing for his role in an assault that took place earlier this month. 

Flying drone with camera

The statement reads: “First and foremost, I want to offer my deepest apology for my lapse in judgment and behavior on December 9 at a restaurant in West Hollywood. To my family, community, friends, and youth I mentor, please know I feel horrible for my actions and take full responsibility,” McGinest said.

“To my colleagues at the NFL Network and those I work closely with as an advisor to professional and community-based organizations, please know I am embarrassed and regret what occurred.”

McGinest turned himself in to police on Monday and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, that was not a firearm, for the incident that allegedly took place in Los Angeles on Dec. 9. 

TMZ released video of the incident where McGinest punched a man, before other people joined in on the scuffle. The video also showed McGinest dropping a bottle onto a seat cushion after using it to strike the person in the scuffle.

“Most of all, I am disappointed in myself, as I know this is an isolated incident and is not reflective of my faith, role as a father, life’s body of work, or the role model I’ve worked hard to become,” McGinest said in his statement. “It is personally devastating that decades of community service, youth engagement, mentoring, and professional development would become an afterthought in a single moment that should have never happened.

See also  Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine

“This incident has prompted me to deep self-reflection – mind, soul, and spirit. I know that violence is never the answer to such situations, no matter how intense the provocation. Rest assured, I will take whatever steps necessary to restore the public trust, mend damaged relationships, and ensure this never happens again.”

McGinest posted a bail of $30,000 at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in West Hollywood, Sgt. Evelio Galvez told USA TODAY Sports. McGinest turned himself in around 7 a.m. Monday, Galvez said.

The alleged incident took place at a restaurant named Delilah on the 7900 block of Santa Monica Boulevard

McGinest, a Los Angeles native, played in the NFL for 15 seasons, winning three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots in 12 seasons. He spent his last three seasons with the Cleveland Browns and ended his career in 2008. McGinest was the fourth pick in the 1994 draft and was a two-time Pro Bowler.

After his playing career, McGinest has worked as a football analyst for ESPN, Fox Sports and NFL Network. 


Source link

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

 
financetin
Logo
%d bloggers like this: